Lately I have been craving the taste of green. Not the potent dark green of kale but the springy green of, well, Spring. While I don’t usually buy fresh herbs in the winter I have been treating myself to bunches of parsley and eating loads of warm rice salad.
It is so simple and Springy
1 Cup of Basmati Rice (white, brown is too earthy)
2.5 Cups water
1/2 Purple Onion, diced small
1 Cup of Parsley, cut small
4 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
2 + more Olive oil
Feta Cheese (optional)
1) Heat (medium flame) rice cooking pot with 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil, when hot add rice and a pinch of salt; cook to absorb oil for about 5 minutes, don’t let the rice burn.
2) Add water and cover for ten minutes, or until rice is cooked, I can’t promise the timing rice is picky.
3) Put rice in large bowl, add onions and parsley, toss together.
4) Add vinegar and more oil until rice is not sticky (careful with that oil too much is icky).
5) Crumble feta and throw on top (optional).
6) Serve and enjoy some springtime.
After our families $100 week we were amused to find that we have spent less the two following weeks since then. This past Saturday I went grocery shopping and when I got to the check out I saw that I spent only $45 and left with more food for this week, that’s $40 less than the first week when we were trying to be all careful. Also we haven’t been eating out hardly at all.